hardware/kernel & lispOS vs. ENV & Names Silk/Jade

Mike Rilee mlrilee@erols.com
Fri, 2 May 1997 06:14:05 -0400 (EDT)

 From: Mike McDonald <mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com>
> >Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:23:56 -0500
> >To: LispOS <lispos@math.gatech.edu>
> >From: Chris Hanson <chanson@mcs.com>
> >Subject: Re: LispOS directly on hardware or on Unix kernel?
> >
> >I think another problem with putting LispOS on Unix initially and then
> >trying to replace the underlying layer is that the core operating system --
> >memory, process, and communication management -- may be significantly
> >different in design between a Lisp-oriented OS and Unix.
>
>   Sure, I can buy that. I think from time to time as the system is
> being evolved, major chunks of the system wiil have to be ripped out
> and replaced. If we can do a half way decent job of defining
> interfaces, then hopefully that pain can be localized. The alternative
> is to design the whole thing out first, then start implementing it
> without changing any of the interfaces. I don't think that's a viable
> approach for such a fuzzy project being manned by transient
> volunteers. That approach would also mean it would be a long, long
> time before we saw the results of (car '(a b)). I'd rather live with
> having to periodicly revisit portions of the system than wait for the
> "ideal" system to be designed and built.

This could even be a selling point of the project: the ability to build a large, efficient system out
of local components.  Proof-of-concept: the main commercial arm of Oberon, Oberon Microsystems is
pushing to release "Black Box Component Builder" based on "Component Pascal" (nee Oberon/F and
Oberon/L respectively).

I  advocate planning for revision (and change of personnel).