LispOS directly on hardware or on Unix kernel?

Harvey J. Stein abel@netvision.net.il
Fri, 2 May 1997 21:16:09 +0300

Chris Bitmead uid writes:
 > >>Most people these days are talking of micro kernels that will be able
 > >>to run Windows, Mac, OpenStep, Unix all at the one time. That is the
 > >>way of the future.
 > >
 > >Which has not been delivered yet. Why? Because it is extremely
 > >complex to put a current OS on a Microkernel. Ask Apple.
 > >They failed to deliver. Despite a legion of
 > >developers. And despite of hundreds of millions of dollars.
 >
 > By the standards of difficulty in OS development, building an OS on a
 > micro kernel is extremely easy. Apple DID build an OS on a
 > micro-kernel. It's called MkLinux and it took them a matter of months
 > to build.

Not that I really disagree with any of the points your making, but
they didn't really just build an OS from scratch on top of a
microkernel (namely Mach).  They actually ported the Linux kernel
itself to Mach.  Basically, they replaced all the funky low level
hardware access with calls to the Mach "micro"kernel and recompiled.

--
Harvey J. Stein
Berger Financial Research