Time to get busy!

Tomas Arvidsson md94-tar@nada.kth.se
Mon, 5 May 1997 00:30:02 +0200

> Now, which is it -- Linux or FreeBSD? If Linux, which Linux --
> RedHat, Slackware, Debian, mkLinux?

Go with Linux and don't fuzz too much about which distribution we
should use - they are basically the same. The major differencies
between them are the vendor-specific tools you get and the support
some vendors, i.e. Red Hat and S.u.S.E., will give you if you buy
their distribution. Besides, S.u.S.E. have a Greman distribution with
German docs, man-pages, and books which probably appeals more to the
Germans who follow this list than any english distribution (I
recommend it - it seems to be a really good distribution).

My suggestion of Linux is not really based on technical merits -
something which will be irrelevant anyway if we are going to replace
it with something more appropriate later on. I suggest Linux because
it is more easily available (for buying - picking it of the net is
probably the same pain in the but in both cases), there are more
drivers and patches for strange hardware available and it is probably
still available for more platforms than FreeBSD.

--
Tomas Arvidson         *** md94-tar@nada.kth.se * d91tar@csd.uu.se  ***
                       *** http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~md94-tar ***