Distributed equivalent to :Load Patches

Luca Pisati pisati@nichimen.com
Tue, 06 May 1997 12:00:18 -0700

cwg@DeepEddy.Com wrote:

> > > Clearly this is (a) a large difficult system to create, and (b) the sooner
> > > it's created the better.  I know I'm underqualified to design such a thing, but
> > > if someone out there wants to design an important high-level pieces of the
> > > LispOS, it sure would be useful to figure out what facilities this would need
> > > underneath as soon as possible.
> >
> > Not at all.  We redeveloped such a system (since our software was
> > ported from Symbolics to SGI), and it works pretty good, and it is pretty
> > small, too.
>
> [My lispm memories are getting rusty, so bear with me]  Does it support all
> the Lispm facilities for creating patches, etc?

Since we develop with Xemacs + ACL 4.3 the facility to create
patches (which I wrote) is distributed between Emacs-lisp and Common-Lisp.
It does handle Add-patch and finish-patch, and patch comments, and so on.

> Could it be used over the Internet?

It could be if there could be a way to have remote hosts in Common-Lisp.
(wish I have network protocols facility as on Symbolics ...)
It is anyway a trivial extension, given remote host access capability.

> Does it have the ability to validate a user who's creating a patch
> (probably using public keys)?

Right now I'm only logging users.  Again trivial extension.

> Can it read from a mirror site either in
> preference to the primary site (actually, with logical pathnames, the answer
> is clearly "yes") or when the primary site is down (I suppose a generalization
> of the logical pathname concept would soft this problem)?

Actually the answer is "no".  Logical pathnames let me
keep sources for different versions of the project separate,
and facilitate a lot of tricks, but they do not manage things
as mirrored location (unless the local user decides to change
the translations).

> > > This would provide a whole new approach to distributed software development.
> > >
> > > Just dreaming,
> > > Chris
> >
> > This is reality, not a dream.
>
> Great.  So, are y'all offering it for integration into the proposed LispOS?
> As I said, the earlier it's in the system, the better.

This I do not know :)

It is a proprietary module, here, but I could check it out.

Anyway, if not, I could volunteer to rewrite a better one.

I'm just waiting for defining a development resource structure,
and I'm willing to contribute to write development tools (as well
other stuff, too).

--
Luca Pisati		       Voice:	 (310) 577-0518
Nichimen Graphics	       Fax:	 (310) 577-0577