Distributed equivalent to :Load Patches

cwg@DeepEddy.Com cwg@DeepEddy.Com
Tue, 06 May 1997 13:44:11 -0500

--==_Exmh_948934648P

> > Clearly this is (a) a large difficult system to create, and (b) the sooner
> > it's created the better.  I know I'm underqualified to design such a thing, but
> > if someone out there wants to design an important high-level pieces of the
> > LispOS, it sure would be useful to figure out what facilities this would need
> > underneath as soon as possible.
>
> Not at all.  We redeveloped such a system (since our software was
> ported from Symbolics to SGI), and it works pretty good, and it is pretty
> small, too.

[My lispm memories are getting rusty, so bear with me]  Does it support all
the Lispm facilities for creating patches, etc?  Could it be used over the
Internet?  Does it have the ability to validate a user who's creating a patch
(probably using public keys)?  Can it read from a mirror site either in
preference to the primary site (actually, with logical pathnames, the answer
is clearly "yes") or when the primary site is down (I suppose a generalization
of the logical pathname concept would soft this problem)?

> > This would provide a whole new approach to distributed software development.
> >
> > Just dreaming,
> > Chris
>
> This is reality, not a dream.

Great.  So, are y'all offering it for integration into the proposed LispOS?
As I said, the earlier it's in the system, the better.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                    O-              cwg@DeepEddy.Com
  Deep Eddy Internet Consulting                     +1 512 432 4046

--==_Exmh_948934648P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQB1AwUBM2979JaQnaaFII2dAQFseQL/To10tjvBn0e4jkLvXDu/HOW4xlZZZU7/
i5OI5kH3J+9ltmkiKe10Z4YnYkmQkLPkmgbNGOmcUi4OtrMn5bclDwk8+jPD8JTL
9JsQbm3Gq+uigdFVFbtKvx3U9qwiEAxm
=64yE
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_948934648P--