Distributed equivalent to :Load Patches

Mike McDonald mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com
Tue, 06 May 1997 12:40:06 -0700

>To: cwg@deepeddy.com
>Subject: Re: Distributed equivalent to :Load Patches
>From: marcus@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu (Marcus G. Daniels)
>Date: 06 May 1997 10:16:57 -0700

>CWG> LispOS users should be able to type "Load Patches"
>
>Besides not being pretty and object-oriented, how is this different
>from CVS + defsystem?  Say, something like:
>
>(loop for subsystem in *subsystem-list*
>      do
>      (cd (subsystem-pathname subsystem))
>      (shell "cvs update")
>      (pdefsys:load-system (subsystem-tag subsystem)))

  Hmm. I can't find the definition to the "shell" function in CLtL2.
What page is it on? :-) (I know, I should quit being a smart ass.) But
anyway, it'd be nice if the source control system wasn't dependant on
Unix or C. Lisp is the prefered dependancy. If we start out using CVS,
we'll either have to switch to some other Lisp based system at a later
date or implement a CVS compatible system in Lisp. In either case, why
not just do it in Lisp to begin with?

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@engr.sgi.com