mapping files to objects

cwg@DeepEddy.Com cwg@DeepEddy.Com
Tue, 06 May 1997 18:14:32 -0500

--==_Exmh_-2120691448P

> So who really believes a real or virtual working LispM can and will be created?

Depends on how you define a LispM.

I think the one that you want to build won't be created and even if it were,
it would have a very limited market due to compatibility issues.  Why should
you design yourself to be another Symbolics or Apple?

I think that one that works with and uses pieces of "standard" pieces can be
created, but I don't yet know if it will be created.  There are still a lot of
pieces that nobody has volunteered to tackle yet.

One other point is that with the "build on unix" approach is that failure to
accomplish the LispOS project might still leave a useful Lisp environment,
while if the "build in pure lisp from scratch doing The Right Thing at all
points" approach fails, we have nothing useful except for lessons.

So...I think it can be done.  I hope it will be done, and I want to take an
approach which provides that even if it isn't done we will gain some useful
tools in the process and I can stop writing perl scripts.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                    O-              cwg@DeepEddy.Com
  Deep Eddy Internet Consulting                     +1 512 432 4046

--==_Exmh_-2120691448P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQB1AwUBM2+7UZaQnaaFII2dAQG2ewL+PmMtzSxbk+fZQhv4OnP3sPKol7zcODZf
AJ8omhp/rgopk4kfl6QACm1O9hFu7f5KzfWBVWhYmoBygCcHJKQrfz5tNkBuBq8g
vd3HoSH1AP9I3GMI3xIqXPKyqalRdOYo
=A0yr
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-2120691448P--