mapping files to objects

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Wed, 07 May 1997 10:54:08 +1000

>I merely didn't want to either (a) read a 10mb mail file just to determine
>that it is a mail file or (b) to open/read/close the first block of a mail
>file twice.  If whoever writes this hunk of code, can either keep those cases
>from happening or show that it's not important, that's fine with me.

I'm a bit perplexed about all the talk of parsing UNIX mail files. If
you're storing files in UNIX mail format, that implys that you're
getting your mail via UNIX sendmail. That means you're running a UNIX
system, so you might as well read your mail using a UNIX program.

>All I really want is a better interface to Unix file systems so I can start
>implementing routines that read such files.

But why do you want to read such files? No self-respecting LispOS
would store mail in UNIX mail format.