Linux Comments [Re: Time to get busy!]

Tim Pierce twpierce@mail.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed, 7 May 1997 12:07:39 -0500 (CDT)

> The differences between Linux
> and FreeBSD don't seem to be of any great magnitude (please,
> no flames, I mean in ways that would make a significant
> difference to this project) other than the number and variety
> of devices supported, where Linux is a clear leader. This
> could be important to this project -- allowing more people
> to easily participate using almost any scraped together PC.

Oh, I don't know if that's true: the *BSDs and FreeBSD in
particular support *quite* a lot of random devices.  The people I
know who have actually done production-level operating system work
are bearish on Linux and bullish on free *BSDs for kernel
stability, so I continue to think that this is a gray area at
best.

For me, coming up to speed on Linux internals merely to throw them
all away again does not sound appealing.  I am personally more
interested in investigating Flux directly, and will be downloading
the toolkit as soon as it's released to see how the pieces fit
together.