Unicode (Was: mikemac's proposal)

Pierpaolo Bernardi bernardp@cli.di.unipi.it
Fri, 9 May 1997 16:31:05 +0200 (MET DST)

> On Mon, 5 May 1997, Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote:
> > 	   works on ascii streams, aka the console, serial lines, ...
> >                     ^^^^^
> >
> > You mean Unicode, don't you?
>
> Sorry for the late response, but it's all going too fast :-)
>
> I strongly agree that we should use unicode. In fact we should make no
> assumptions about the locality at all. It's on my todo list for CMUCL.
> (not that I have the time or the expertise to actually _do_ it :-()
>
> Groetjes, Peter

That's great.  I actually was suggesting to use Unicode _if_ we were
going to write something from scratch, and to use whatever there was
available if using cmucl.  Of course, Unicode in cmucl would be the best.

If you don't already know it, the following paper may be useful:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/doc/utf.html  or
http://plan9.wtf.nyc.ny.us/plan9man/09utf.ps.Z

it describes what the plan9 implementors had to do in order to convert
most Unix (sorry 8-) utilities to Unicode.

How do you plan to make readtables in Unicode work?  or are you
considering unicode only for characters and strings, and not for
source code?

Groetjes, Pierpaolo.