Unicode (Was: mikemac's proposal)

Peter.VanEynde s950045@uia.ua.ac.be
Fri, 9 May 1997 18:01:17 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote:

> That's great.  I actually was suggesting to use Unicode _if_ we were
> going to write something from scratch, and to use whatever there was
> available if using cmucl.  Of course, Unicode in cmucl would be the best.

With Unicode support in the kernel and libc6 the time should be right to
leave ascii.

> If you don't already know it, the following paper may be useful:
I'll look at them, thanks!

> How do you plan to make readtables in Unicode work?  or are you
> considering unicode only for characters and strings, and not for
> source code?
Huh?

As the lisp compiler is written in lisp I can't see how it should lack
support. The right approach is to redefine what we mean with character,
right? (I should read up in the HyperSpec on this) The only problem I
still have is if all characters should be Unicode or if we should support
a "compressed" character that's ascii only. (and 7 bits only to avoid
problems)

<flame>
As a multi-lingual European I'm often amazed how much software _still_
thinks that everybody is an American. The amount of work I have to do to
get X and xemacs to accept dead-keys is frustrating. And even then it
doesn't work 100%. (like ispell) :-(
</flame>

Groetjes, Peter

--