Application Design (was Re: Testing the waters.)

BRIAN SPILSBURY zhivago@iglou.com
Sat, 10 May 1997 04:59:12 -0400 (EDT)

> In my last message I mentioned how I converted an app from using flat
> ASCII files for persistence to using a persistent heap.
>
> NOT ONE LINE OF THE MAIN APPLICATION CHANGED. All I did was redirect a
> few high-level methods like #'save-object and #'load-object.

Yes, and you can always write a filesystem like interface to whatever
you're using for persistence, be it an expensive transactional db
or a cheaper, simpler casual form of persistence where it might just be
a container object which is called by 'open', 'close', etc.

So its not really an issue as far as portability is concerned.

Brian