Persistence

Paul Prescod papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat, 10 May 1997 05:50:16 -0400

BRIAN SPILSBURY wrote:
> But the loss of transparency here is over a much smaller domain than
> restricting persistence to special applications which explicitly access
> a database. Casual persistence is useful and nice for most applications.

Okay, so we've got exceptions to transparency for transactions and for
"weak references." Now what about programs that build up data structures
in memory that are more efficient to re-create than to store? They must
be careful to explicitly dump pointers to them when they get a message
to shut down (assuming they get such a message). That seems like another
exception to transparency.

 Paul Prescod