Testing the waters.

Alaric B. Williams alaric@abwillms.demon.co.uk
Sat, 10 May 1997 10:49:38 +0000

> Suppose my company were interested in developing LispOS in
> this manner:

>    Native i386 code,
>    no underlying unix (lisp down to the metal),

FluxOS toolkit would be a good idea IMHO, since there's a lot
of tedious coding to be done to reach that level, and it's not
an area that Lisp improves on greatly.

>    start with Scheme as basis language,

Fair enough, although Scheme does suffer from minimality, IMHO.
Have you seen the EuLisp draft spec? Now /that/ looks more like
it! I haven't the URL any more, sadly, but It's Out There.

>    design with support for persistent object system,
>    implementation tools running on '95/NT,
>    free software.

> How many people would be interested in actually investing
> time and energy on this?  If there is a critical mass, I'll
> start the project.

Hmmm, I'd be able to help with concepts and troubleshooting, and I
may have some time to code. I have NT4.0, BTW.

ABW
--
Alaric B. Williams (alaric@abwillms.demon.co.uk)

   ---<## OpenDOS FAQ ##>---