A name for this OS

Stefan Bamberger bambi@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed, 7 May 1997 21:22:17 +0200

At 12:02 Uhr 07.05.1997, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
>Mike McDonald wrote:
>>
>> >To: lispos@math.gatech.edu
>> >Subject: A name for this OS
>> >Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 10:50:42 -0400
>> >From: Richard Coleman <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
>> >
>> >I've been thinking of a good name for the lispOS.
>> >It seems pretty simple, but I believe a good name
>> >is just "LOS".
>>
>>   LOS is too close to loss!
>
>Not to mention that "Was ist los?" means "What's wrong?" or "What's the
>problem?" in German.

Besides this, when it's said as a sole word: "Los!"
in german it has the meaning of "Go!" as in
"Ready-steady-GO!"
And that would be more appropriate in the sense of: Do it! Show the world
that it's possible!

In a functional meaning LispOS is a good choice, but in the psychological
one I would prefer a name which doesn't point so straight to Lisp. I,
myself, like Lisp, but it's easier to convince the zillon of non 'lisplers'
to give the new OS a try, if Lisp is not the first thing, they will be
confronted with.

- stefan

Stefan K. Bamberger                   email: bambi@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Lehrstuhl fuer K"unstliche Intelligenz                  fax : ++49 931 7056120
Allesgrundweg 12, 97218 Gerbrunn                      voice : ++49 931 7056118
                         Universit"at W"urzburg, Germany