Remember the Flux OS toolkit? [Re: Model]

BRIAN SPILSBURY zhivago@iglou.com
Sun, 11 May 1997 01:04:25 -0400 (EDT)

> Where did this business with Forth come from? Apparently some of you
> came in late to the picture show, so you need to go to
> <http://www.cs.utah.edu/projects/flux/oskit/> and check out the
> Flux OS toolkit -- it has everything needed to kickstart the
> project - even adapting CMU-CL to run on top of it and fully
> compile shouldn't be a huge problem. It contains full bootstap
> code, MMU code, management of the x86 architecture, PCI bus
> support, low-level debugging functions, wrappers for drivers from
> NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux ... and its FREE. The only holdup is they
> are releasing a new version of it -- should only be a couple of
> weeks (they've had previous versions so one more shouldn't stress
> them out too much). Preliminary documentation is available from this
> site.
>
> I think CMU-CL could be adapted or specialized to create the mini-lisp
> you are desiring and it already has very good native code generation
> (and not just for the x86 architecture).

Having looked at the source to cmucl I don't really think it will scale
down gracefully.

The python compiler might be useful, certainly. But flux has nothing
to do with the proposed use of forth/some-tiny-lisp. Unless of course
the flux toolkit is also a reflective language. :)

If flux handles devices well, then by all means, use it. The fact
that flux can 'borrow' linux/bsd drivers is a major advantage.

Just at a glance over that url I can't see anything that mentions non-
intel support, it would be nice to know if flux is going to limit
itself to that platform, or if they just aren't shouting about it.

Brian