Portability (was Re: Unidentified subject!)

Marcus G. Daniels marcus@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu
13 May 1997 03:19:23 -0700

MC> What are you trying to suggest? Sure emacs and xemacs have many
MC> things we want. But how will you use these for a LispOS?

Emacs already has a package for emulating much of Common Lisp.  You
really think that emulating Elisp on either Scheme or Common Lisp
(both stronger languages) is going to be more difficult?  I don't.

MC> So the only option to use "real" emacs is to build a
MC> guile-machine, which I am sceptical about, mostly for performance
MC> issues

Why?  It seems to me the larger a language is, the harder it is to optimize.

MC> and because I don't think you should build on OS on top the Scheme at all.

I see that.