Complex numbers

Andreas Eder are@laphroig.mch.sni.de
Thu, 15 May 1997 10:54:14 +0200

Ingemar Hulthage writes:

>>     Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 19:44 EDT
>>     From: hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker)
>>
>>     > I think I can count on my hands how many people think
>>     > complex numbers should be retained in a new CL.
>
>I have to disagree strongly. Complex numbers are very important in
>mathematics, physics and engineering.
>
>Ingemar

Yes , I agree. Complex numbers are very important, and it is also very
important that you have an easy way of using them. I would say we need
the whole numeric tower, and even more than is currently in
CL. Infinite precision reals, exact computable reals and p-adic
numbers are also very important.
But, with Lisp there is no need to have it in the language proper! It
could equally well be in a standard library. All that is important is
that the integration and implementation is well done.

--
Andreas Eder			NetWorker (ReliantUnix)
SNI AG				Phone:    +49-89-636-42549

EMail:			mailto:Andreas.Eder@mch.sni
for public access:      http://www.sni.de/public/mr/nsr/nsr_en.htm
for SNI personnel only: http://athen.mch.sni.de/networker/welcome.htm

---
Is "Windows for Dummies" another case of "this sentence no verb?"