Versioning and persistence

Scott L. Burson gyro@zeta-soft.com
Tue, 20 May 1997 20:25:31 -0700 (PDT)

   From: Chris Bitmead uid <chris.bitmead@alcatel.com.au> (x22068)
   Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 09:41:44 +1000

   >I believe the standard way versioning is dealt with in OODBs is at the segment
   >level (a segment being a collection of objects that are treated together for
   >various purposes -- typically a segment is stored in a single disk file).

   Those ODBMSs that use the named root scheme aren't really designed to
   have thousands of names. Usually you have between 1 and several. They
   are just meant to be a starting point from which you can start
   navigating.

That's true.  I don't understand the point you're making, however.  The point
I was trying to make is that if you do it this way, you don't have to think
about versioning on every object access, which you were pointing out would be
silly.

   >Accessing more than one version of a given segment at a time gets a little
   >weird because different versions of an object are not EQ.  I'm not sure how
   >much of a problem this is in practice.

   What is most weird is what should happen when a old version segment
   starts accessing another segment, and vice versa.

Hmm, yeah, I'll have to think about that.

-- Scott