Versioning and persistence

Patrick Logan patrickl@servio.gemstone.com
Thu, 22 May 97 12:51 PDT

    Scott> But this doesn't mean you can't work with different
    Scott> versions of objects on a fine-grained level.  I can (in
    Scott> theory :-) open version 1 of a segment, navigate down to a
    Scott> particular object, then open v2 of the same segment,
    Scott> navigate to the corresponding object, and then compare
    Scott> them, or whatever I want to do with them.

It is important to develop a philosophy of what the system is
providing. What is the cost/benefit of this model? In spite of the
industry's fascination with plug-n-play components, the real work gets
done through loosely integrated systems of tightly integrated
subsystems of cooperating objects. Is there really a benefit from
versioning individual objects? Or is there more benefit and lower cost
from versioning subsystems?

--
Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl@gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556