Versioning and persistence

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Fri, 23 May 1997 10:12:14 +1000

>   Basicly I think you were suggesting a system where you divide up the
>   system in a certain way into segments, and I'm questioning if that
>   gives you flexibility.
>
>It's true that you lose a bit of flexibility.  If two objects are in the same
>segment, they will always be committed (new versions will be created) at the
>same time.

That wasn't what I was referring to. The loss of flexibility is this:
That the segment mechanism would be providing a crucial part of the
functionality, yet iy only operates on a single level. i.e. you can't
have nested segments or segments within segments. Therefore this
mechanism can only be used to divide up things at one level only. Thus
you lose a lot.