Why [not] X?

Mike McDonald mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com
Thu, 22 May 1997 16:24:00 -0700

>Date: Thu, 22 May 97 15:49 PDT
>From: Patrick Logan <patrickl@servio.gemstone.com>
>To: Kelly Murray <kem@franz.com>
>Subject: Re: Why [not] X?

>    Kelly> [as he pokes his head up from actually working on
>    Kelly> SilkOS...]
>
>I am just getting caught up. What are you doing specifically when you
>say this?

  He's working on an Lisp OODB. Unlike most of the people on this
list, Kelley is actually doing something other than BSing about who's
research project is better than everyone else's.

>    Kelly> I'll say again what I've suggested: A web browser is the
>    Kelly> GUI.  If you want it to kick-ass, then put a Lisp in the
>    Kelly> web browser, and send LISP code to the browser.
>
>Agreed. But...
>
>    Kelly> Is someone going to volunteer to write a web browser in
>    Kelly> Lisp?
>
>Don't you just need a Lisp plug-in? Why a whole browser?

  Where's that browser running? If your machine is running a lisp
based OS, I doubt Netscape is going to work too well. (Assuming only
one machine. Having a second machine on the net just to run a C based
browser is cheating!)

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@engr.sgi.com