Why [not] X?

Alaric B. Williams alaric@abwillms.demon.co.uk
Sat, 24 May 1997 08:32:42 +0000

> Subject:       Why [not] X?
> To:            lispos@math.gatech.edu
> Date:          Thu, 22 May 1997 21:57:52 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          BRIAN SPILSBURY <zhivago@iglou.com>

> PL> And the color architecture sucks...
>
> 48 bit colour is a problem?

48 bits specified with unknown chromaticities of red, green, blue, and white,
are a problem!

If I give you an RGB triple and you get your monitor to show it to you,
how similar will it look to the same numbers on my monitor?

Probably "mostly".

The thing is, different monitors have different concepts of red, green, and
blue :-)

Search the Web for "Poynton's Color FAQ", IIRC, for more details.

> Simply saying 'X sucks' 50 times isn't really justification.

Would a thousand do? :-)

> Again, I would look at using X to support linear frame buffer graphics
> while under development, which can be trivally moved to other
> linear frame buffer systems.

Yeah, I'd be happy with that for now, too.

> Brian

ABW
--
Alaric B. Williams (alaric@abwillms.demon.co.uk)