Part I of Erlang book now available on-line

Joe Armstrong joe@erix.ericsson.se
27 May 1997 10:34:59 +0200

[hbaker: from comp.lang.functional -- good stuff]

    We are  pleased to announce that  Prentice Hall  has allowed us to
release Part I of "Concurrent programming in Erlang".

    http://www.ericsson.se:800/erlang/sure/core/news/erlang-book-part1.ps

    Contains the full  text  of Part I  of  the Erlang  book (chapters
1-9).  Part I  of the book contains  all you need to  know in order to
write simple Erlang applications.  Part II (buy it if you like part I)
has case studies of more complex applications.

    Free copies of the Erlang system for a number of different platforms
are available from:

    http://www.ericsson.se:800/erlang

        /Joe

                      Concurrent Programming in Erlang

             J. Armstrong, R. Virding, C. Wikström, M. Williams

                            2:nd Edition
                   Prentice Hall, 1996, ISBN 0-13-508301-X

    Erlang is a concurrent   functional programming language  designed
for   programming   large  industrial real-time    systems.  Erlang is
dynamically  typed and  has a  pattern matching  syntax. Functions are
defined   using recursion    equations.    Erlang   provides  explicit
concurrency, has asynchronous  message passing and is  relatively free
from side effects.

    Distributed   Erlang   programs     can  run   transparently    on
cross-platform multi-vendor systems. The  language has  primitives for
detecting   run-time  errors  and   for    dynamic   code  replacement
(i.e. changes to  code can  be made  in  a running  real-time  system,
without stopping system).

    Erlang has real-time GC, modules and a foreign language interface.

    Erlang was  developed  at  the  Ellemtel Telecommunication Systems
Laboratories  and is used within  Ericsson for product development and
prototyping.

Part I. Programming.

Chapter 1 An Erlang Tutorial
        1.1 Sequential Programming
        1.2 Data Types
        1.3 Pattern Matching
        1.4 Built-In Functions
        1.5 Concurrency

Chapter 2 Sequential Programming
        2.1 Terms
        2.2 Pattern Matching
        2.3 Expression Evaluation
        2.4 The Module System
        2.5 Function Definition
        2.6 Primitives
        2.7 Arithmetic Expressions
        2.8 Scope of Variables

Chapter 3 Programming with Lists
        3.1 List Processing BIFs
        3.2 Some Common List Processing Functions
        3.3 Examples
        3.4 Common Patterns of Recursion on Lists
        3.5 Functional Arguments

Chapter 4 Programming with Tuples
        4.1 Tuple Processing BIFs
        4.2 Multiple Return Values
        4.3 Encrypting PIN Codes
        4.4 Dictionaries
        4.5 Unbalanced Binary Trees
        4.6 Balanced Binary Trees

Chapter 5 Concurrent Programming
        5.1 Process Creation
        5.2 Inter-Process Communication
        5.3 Timeouts
        5.4 Registered Processes
        5.5 Client--Server Model
        5.6 Process Scheduling, Real Time and Priorities
        5.7 Process Groups

Basic concurrent programming techniques. Creating and monitoring processes.
Sending messages between process. Monitoring processes. The client-server
model is introduced. Primitives for real-time programming.

Chapter 6 Distributed Programming
        6.1 Motivation
        6.2 Distributed mechanisms
        6.3 Registered Processes
        6.4 Connections
        6.5 A Banking Example

The language primitives have the same properties in a distributed system as
in a single node system.

Chapter 7 Error Handling
        7.1 Catch and Throw
        7.2 Process Termination
        7.3 Linked Processes
        7.4 Run-Time Failure
        7.5 Changing the Default Signal Reception Action
        7.6 Undefined Functions and Unregistered Names
        7.7 Catch versus Trapping Exits

Basic error handling mechanisms. Catch and throw. Detecting process
termination.

Chapter 8 Programming Robust Applications
        8.1 Guarding against Bad Data
        8.2 Robust Server Processes
        8.3 Isolating Computations
        8.4 Keeping Processes Alive
        8.5 Discussion

Basic programming techniques for programming fault-tolerant applications.

Chapter 9 Miscellaneous Items
        9.1 Last Call Optimisation
        9.2 References
        9.3 Code Replacement
        9.4 Ports
        9.5 Binaries
        9.6 Process Dictionary
        9.7 The Net Kernel
        9.8 Hashing
        9.8 Efficiency

Changing code in a running system without stopping the system. Interfacing
to foreign languages.

Part II. Applications

The applications part of the book is a set of case studies. Here we build on
the programming techniques of Part I to construct complete programs. Many of
the studies are based on real-world applications.

Chapter 9 Databases
        9.1 The Access Functions
        9.2 Simple Database
        9.3 A Multi-Level Database
        9.4 Transaction Management
        9.5 External Databases

Simple database programs, with transactions, roll-back, fault-tolerance,
etc..

Chapter 10 Distributed Programming Techniques
        10.1  Remote Procedure Calls (RPC)
        10.2  Multicalls
        10.3  Broadcasting
        10.4  Global Registration
        10.5  Promises
        10.6  Mulitcasting to Process Groups
        10.7  Negotiation Techniques
        10.8  Adaptive Load Distribution
        10.9  Relay Techniques
        10.10 Parallel Evaluation for Speed
        10.11 Discussion

RPC, the ability to evaluate a function transparently an a remote node.
Promises, an asyncrounous RPC.

Erlang provides simpler primitives for RPC, global name servers, error
detection etc. than many operating systems.

Chapter 11 Distributed Data
        11.1 Shared Data
        11.2 Partial Replication
        11.3 Transactions

Many applications may wish to have some common data structures available for
access and modification by several processes on several nodes. This chapter
describes various techniques for sharing data between physically separated
nodes.

Chapter 12 Operating Systems
        12.1 Overview of the Standard Erlang OS
        12.2 System Startup
        12.3 Code Management
        12.4 The Input/Output System
        12.5 The Standard Shell

An overview of the standard Erlang operating system.

Chapter 13 Real-Time Control
        13.1 A Lift Control System
        13.2 A Satellite Control System

Two real-time (process control) applications.

Chapter 14 Telephony
        14.1 Typical Aspects of Switching System Software
        14.2 POTS
        14.3 Robustness
        14.4 SDL

A telephony application. This is sub-set of a much larger program which used
to control an Ericsson PABX in a real-world application.

Chapter 15 An ASN.1 Compiler
        15.1 Background
        15.2 About ASN.1
        15.3 BER -- Basic Encoding Rules
        15.4 Implementation
        15.5 ASN.1 Applications

A cross compiler from ASN.1 (The CCITT specified data transport definition
language) to Erlang. This again is from a real-world application.

Chapter 16 Graphics
        16.1 The User Interface
        16.2 Basic Graphics Primitives
        16.3 A Pocket Calculator
        16.4 A Prompter
        16.5 A TV Simulation

Building a graphic user interface in Erlang. This shows how Erlang can be
interfaced to the X-windows system to build an advanced GUI.

Chapter 17 Object-Oriented Programming
        17.1 Basic Concepts
        17.2 Mapping to Erlang
        17.3 An Object-Oriented Interface
        17.4 Object-Oriented Programming
        17.5 Object-Oriented Design

Discusses the relation between Erlang and Object-Orientated programming.