Why is LOAD-LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS in ANSI CL ??? LISPOS people ??

Rainer Joswig joswig@lavielle.com
Sun, 09 Nov 1997 23:09:01 +0000

Does LOAD-LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS do **anything** useful?
I mean I can't even call it a second time. Seems not to be a useful
interface
to a repository of logical pathnames (whatever it may look like).

Was there ever a useful proposal for a CLOS-based system facility, which
makes
*intelligent* use of logical pathnames ? There must be something.

I would want something that

- loads /redefines logical pathnames on demand and gets rid of physical
pathnames completely
- uses its own packages and doesn´t clutter cl-user
- doesn´t create random packages like LISP, USER, ... in ANSI CL
- doesn´t redefine CL-USER or CL to use FUTURE-COMMON-LISP or something
similar ugly
- where a system is a CLOS object
- defines useful restarts (reload system, skip system, reload logical
pathname, ...)
- defines and maintains a repositiory of system definitions and pathname
translations
- supports the creation of documentation (documents module interfaces)
- supports text type conversions (CRLF -> LF, ...) for different OS
versions
- is patchable
- supports multiple binary directories
- can generate a plan
- let's define additional system actions
- maintains a log of applied operations
- can deal with users, groups, capabilities, ...

Who has done work in such a thing? If there isn't such a thing, could we
create a working group
defining and implementing it? Can't be that difficult to get something
going.

If the LISPOS people want start, start now with something *simple*. We
grow from that...

I want one and not ten system faclities.

Who joins?
Who has proposal?