Make LispM code FREE (fwd)

Scott Musman musman@pc15.imsidc.com
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:55:53 -0800

>> > 	So how come there is so little interest in free CLIM???
>
>  Because most people don't know what they're missing!

For a really poor example of what you're missing, let me remind
everyone of CLINC that is found on www.cons.org. It's a mostly
functional copy of dynamic windows (the original Symbolics UI) that
runs under most vendors lisps (e.g. ACL, Liquid) and CLISP.

Dynamic windows was the forerunner of CLIM, so the original idea
behind updating EW (the Dynamic Windows clone) was that just by
changing the top level CLINC/EW API to match CLIM you can use it to do
80% of what you can do in CLIM. Hence the idea was a free CLIM subset
that would allow people to play around with CLIM ideas without having
to pay for it from a vendor. If anyone has the time to work on it, I
still think this is a really simple and great way to get started
(unfortunately I don't, which is why I offered up the code). It would
be a good stop-gap measure until Mike McDonald gets his CLIM from
scratch into shape.

				-- Scott

--

                                 Scott Musman