Make LispM code FREE (fwd)

Kragen kragen@pobox.com
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:33:43 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> Kragen wrote:
> > Actually, Linux's basic design is very much the same as PDP-11 UNIX.
> > The whole filesystem design,
>
> The internals of the file system design are utterly utterly
> different. Yes at user level they look the same, but that's not
> what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the implementation
> design.

Not only do they look the same at user level, but directories are
implemented as lists of (name, inum) pairs which are ordinary files
with a special attribute bit, metadata is stored in `inodes', inodes
have pointers to data blocks, an indirect block, and some doubly
indirect blocks, and a triply indirect block, etc.  The disk is
statically partitioned into inodes and data blocks.

MS-DOS, VMS, CP/M, NT, and ITS do things *very* differently.

> > multitasking design,
>
> Very different.

Much more the same than, say, VMS's multitasking design, or NT's, is the
same as Linux.

Kragen