Make LispM code FREE (fwd)

P. T. Withington ptw@pobox.com
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:17:45 -0500

On 4/3/98 02:07, Chris Bitmead wrote:

>Is Open Genera (or whatever it's called) for the DEC Alpha, an
>operating system unto itself, or does it run as an application
>under UNIX?

It runs as an app under unix, emulating a Symbolics Ivory-based Lisp
Machine, which runs all of Genera which is "an operating system unto
itself".  The Open Genera machine appears on your net as a separate
machine with its own IP address and supports all the facilities normally
associated with a Lisp Machine.  It utilizes Unix VM to efficiently
emulate LispM virtual memory, and the GC is slightly changed to take
advantage of that for efficiency (that is, all the GC features of the
original chip are _not_ emulated).  Another way of viewing it:  Symbolics
also sold co-processor cards for the Macintosh and Sun VME-based
workstations that utilzed the host's peripherals for network, file, and
other I/O.  Open Genera is essentially a software co-processor.  It
piggy-backs on the Alpha network, you can assign it file partitions to
create LMFS filesystems, it uses X for its console.