Benevolent Dictatorship

Mike McDonald mikemac@teleport.com
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:44:52 -0800 (PST)

>From kragen@dnaco.net  Thu Mar 19 16:20:09 1998
>Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:19:56 -0500 (EST)
>To: Mike McDonald <mikemac@teleport.com>
>cc: ggleason@tvi.cc.nm.us, lispos@math.gatech.edu
>Subject: Re: Benevolent Dictatorship
>From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
>
>On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Mike McDonald wrote:
>>   That kind of leaves a stripped down Linux or BSD. And we've been
>> over this one many a times before too.
>
>I guess that means no one with the ability cares enough to implement
>something.  So there will never be a freely-available Lisp OS, unless
>you count GNU Emacs, which doesn't even have threads.
>
>Someone needs to write some code.  It doesn't have to be perfect; it
>doesn't have to satisfy everyone; it just has to be exciting enough to
>get other people to help.
>
>Kragen

  Well, why don't you (the perverbiable you), get a copy of CMUCL, put
it on Linux, and start writing something. There's tons of things to
write that don't require OS kernel expertise. Things like file system
browsers, enhancing Hemlock, networking utilities (gzip, ftp, tar so
you can get the latest CMUCL from the net (when they're back up)), ...
Anytime you have to go to a shell to run a program is a program
waiting to be ported to CMUCL!

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@mikemac.com