Minimum set of primitives?

Christian Lynbech on satellite lynbech@daimi.aau.dk
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:38:49 +0100 (CET)

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Bitmead <chrisb@ans.com.au> writes:

Chris> The other big question that arises is whether and how to
Chris> support non-Scheme programs. That is where the debate starts as
Chris> to whether UNIX should run underneath LispOS in order to
Chris> support C apps (and provide a bootstrap or base system to avoid
Chris> writing device drivers).

Oh no. A unix program needs to link against a unix runtime system. The
LispOS should be the place where hello.c compiles to a 17Mb executable
with abysymal performance. We want to end the footprint debate.

:-)

Chris> ... but don't people hate emacs when it stops to garbage
Chris> collect?

One cannot hate emacs, as we say over in alt.religion.emacs. Garbage
collection is a fact of life just as the sun must set in the evening
in order to rise again in the morning.

Christian Lynbech          | Telebit Communications A/S
Phone: +45 8628 8176       | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)