Minimum set of primitives?

Chris Bitmead chrisb@ans.com.au
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:24:16 +0000

Christian Lynbech on satellite wrote:

> Chris> The other big question that arises is whether and how to
> Chris> support non-Scheme programs. That is where the debate starts as
> Chris> to whether UNIX should run underneath LispOS in order to
> Chris> support C apps (and provide a bootstrap or base system to avoid
> Chris> writing device drivers).
>
> Oh no. A unix program needs to link against a unix runtime system.

No it doesn't. Only if it needs to access "UNIX"y things. A
scheme program wouldn't need to do these things, so it wouldn't
need to link with libc. (Well depending on how things are
implemented it wouldn't)

> One cannot hate emacs, as we say over in alt.religion.emacs. Garbage
> collection is a fact of life just as the sun must set in the evening
> in order to rise again in the morning.

Garbage collecting is a fact of life, but stopping the universe
to do it, need not.

--
Chris Bitmead
http://www.ans.com.au/~chrisb