Minimum set of primitives?

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:39:22 -0500

Harvey J. Stein wrote:

> "Control" is a strong word.  Linux started as a task switcher.
> Versions 0.0* were written by Linus.  When it progressed to where he
> thought he had something interesting, he put it up on the net.  It was
> still pretty far from a unix kernel.  Many people defected from minix
> hacking to contribute huge chunks of code (the networking support, the
> ext2fs file system, ...).  I think Linus was pretty open about
> accepting such contributions.  I'd consider him more as a "patch
> coordinator" than as a head of development who "kept control over
> everything".

Linus did not allow things to get into Linux that he thought violated
his design principles. IOW, he kept control. If someone had suggested
(e.g.) a persistent object store in the kernel, Linus would not have let
it in, because his goal was to copy Unix, not invent something.

The United Nations Declaration of Human Rights will be 50 years old on
December 10, 1998. These are your fundamental rights:
http://www.udhr.org/history/default.htm