path to lispos ???

Jordan Henderson jordan@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:31:10 -0600 (CST)

Sorry for the duplication, I responded to Wolfram Rinke's note without
copying the list and when I realized that I asked Mr. Rinke to forward it
to the list, but I'd really rather have my note unquoted, because many
people (at least I do) tend to skip over quoted material.

I agree.  If Richard Coleman is still listening I would like him to
speak directly on the subject of his original goals on starting this
project.  I seem to remember that the original idea was to make a freely
available system which was similar in design and usefullness to the
Symbolics/Explorer/Lambda environments.

I'm concerned that this project has been hijacked by a lot of
competing interests that insist that there is no value in doing
a LispOS if it's not a "completely reflective" system (whatever that
really means), or doesn't have an integrated persistent object system
(whatever that really means) or it's not integrated top-to-bottom
(whatever THAT really means).

What has worked in the past on collaborative Internet projects?
I'm not sure what has worked, but I know that endless speculation
and wrangling over features has not worked, not on the LispOS
project and not on the Tunes project.

I feel that Rainer has listed a number of important goals and has
stated a number of clearcut sub-projects that motivated people could
start on immediately.  It's not clear to anyone that the result of
executing Rainer's list would be that super academic-buzzword-compliant
ultra-flexible earth shakingly revolutionary system that some people
seem to think is the goal, but I do think that having the Infrastructure
that the execution of these sub-projects would provide would imply the
existence of an environment where more ambitious projects could thrive.

It is surprising when someone on this list says something like "I think
we can all agree that..." and we are immediately treated to a number of
differing views which don't agree with each other, but I'm going to
make one of these far reaching statements now.  I think we can all
agree that we want a better computing paradigm that discards a lot
of the baggage from historical mistakes and narrow ways of viewing
problems, we just don't agree what intermediate steps are necessary
to get there.  I feel some are focused on building the "ultimate"
solution from the start, while others just want better CL tools.

>From a practical standpoint, I feel the project lacks leadership.  This
leadership could come by widespread acknowledgement of authority to
establish the "benevolent dictatorship" that some are calling for, or
by the authority that comes with accomplishment (someone writing something
substantial, the Linux model).  However it comes about, leadership would
help us focus our efforts.  In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to just
start on Rainer's list.

Unfortunately, some of the more important goals (from my perspective) can't
be accomplished without leadership (who will be "officially" responsible for
maintaining lispos.org, for example).

Can we at least agree we need someone to work on "promotional" infrastructure
(lispos.org, circulating drafts of position papers, regularly posting reminders
to the appropriate newsgroups, perhaps a project symbol that we could encourage
people to put on their web pages which links to www.lispos.org, etc.)?  Or are
we concerned that if we empower someone (or some group) in this way that
the project will be driven to too lofty or too narrow goals and will not be
something we can support?

-Jordan Henderson
jordan@neosoft.com