path to lispos ???

Martin B. Pomije mbpomije@inav.net
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:47:03 -0600

Richard Coleman wrote:

> > I agree.  If Richard Coleman is still listening I would like him to
> > speak directly on the subject of his original goals on starting this
> > project.  I seem to remember that the original idea was to make a freely
> > available system which was similar in design and usefullness to the
> > Symbolics/Explorer/Lambda environments.
>
> I'm sorry I've been so quiet in this discussion.  I've busy recently
> (I'm getting married tomorrow, and will be on my honeymoon all next
> week).
>
> Although I got sidetracked on another project, I still have plans
> for the lispos project.  I'll say more about it when I return,
> but it is essentially the same as I said a few months back.
>
> My plans are to start with CMUCL running on FreeBSD.  Initially,
> you will need a FreeBSD machine in order to cross-compile the source.
>
> Those are my plans.  If anyone is interested in this, there will
> be plenty to do.  I'll say more when I get back.
>
> --
> Richard Coleman
> coleman@math.gatech.edu
I'd like to help out anyway that I can. (Unfortuneatly not much right
now!) I think that the world needs an alternative to Gates and Co.  The
only OSs that can comptete with NT, have similar features, and are in
the same price range are Linux and FreeBSD.  Of course these are
variants of Unix, and I really don't think that Unix will ever be a
popular OS among average users because of its terrible user interface.

You can read what I had to say on comp.lang.lisp about how cheap
solutions
almost always win out. (I'd be glad to forward it to any you if you are
interested.)

Unfortuneatly, I'm not a very experienced Lisp programmer.  I'm teaching
myself Common Lisp out of "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham and Scheme
out of "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" by Abelson
and Sussmen.  I plan on acquiring a MacIvory by the end of the month.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of how I could increase my skill level so
I could contribute.  Thanks.
Semi-encrypted email address: m_b_p_o_m_i_j_e_ a_t_ i_n_a_v_ d_o_t_
n_e_t_
All non-solicited commercial email will be billed $1,000.