CLEmacs

Mike McDonald mikemac@teleport.com
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:10:02 -0800 (PST)

>Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:56:20 +0100
>From: "Gavin E. Gleason" <ggleason@tvi.cc.nm.us>
>To: lispos@math.gatech.edu
>Subject: CLEmacs
>

>Since I know there are a lot of "old timer's" here, I thought I'd ask
>a question.  Was CLIM the whole windowing system protocol on genera?
>I seem to remember some mention of Silica or something riding
>underneath...  What did the explorers use?  What about interlisp?  Or
>the LMI's?

  Symbolics had a thing called Dynamic Windows. The important feature
of it was a thing called Presentation Types. This is where the windowing
system remembered the type of the thing being drawn on the screen. If
you needed a thing of type FOO, you could type on in or point to any FOO
on the screen. Think of web browsers as really dumb versions. The idea
of presentation types is the part of CLIM that I want in whatever windowing
system I use.

>Maybe it would be a good idea for those of us that are interested in a
>GUI to join the free clim mailing list (you can find a reference to it
>at www.cons.org)

  I don't think I've received a piece of Email from that list in a year!

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@mikemac.com