Netscape, GPL & Lisp

cosc19z5@bayou.uh.edu cosc19z5@bayou.uh.edu
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 10:43:18 -0600 (CST)

[Snip -- about Netscape]

> >  How about
> > reimplementing it in Common Lisp, providing a Lisp-based desktop primed for
> > further innovation?
>
> If you're going to reimplement it, what does it matter if you
> have the source code or not (since it is written in C and C++)?

Well having source code may make re-doing it easier.  Of course,
I'm all in favor of changing the end product in the process
(Lisp-isize it... I'm starting to sound like a freaking McDeath Burger
commercial), and of course re-writes to take advantage of inherent
Common Lisp features will diminish the value of having source,
but I think it will still be a tremendous asset.

> --
> Chris Bitmead
> http://www.ans.com.au/~chrisb
> mailto:chrisb@ans.com.au