Make LispM code FREE (fwd)

Gavin E. Gleason ggleason@tvi.cc.nm.us
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:36:56 +0200

Damond Walker writes:

> [...]

I don't seem to have as big a problem with X as some of the people on
this list.  To me it seems like a reasonble low level protocol for
drawing information to the screen.  One interesting thing to note is
that one of the objectives in the GNU manifesto was to have an X
server writen in lisp.
	Beware though, clx is basically just lisp bindings to X.  It
certainly won't be easy to write any apps that look good directly in
CLX.  Garnet has some nice higher level abstractions for CLX but you
will have to play with the code to get it to work (I tried to take
over maintanence of garnet, but no one ever wrote me back???).  I've
heard rumors of CLIM being released for free by Franz.  If this is
true, CLIM would be much preferable as a substrate, as it is in wider
use, and is based on CLOS instead of a seperate object system like
garnet.

<monolog>
	It seems to me in a world of GUI, that one of the best things
that could further the LispOS ideals would be to develop a free CLIM.
This would alow us to start developing applications that people would
actually use.  A CL Emacs writen with a CLIM interface for instance
(Idea shamelessly borrowed off of #:Erik Naggum), would be far more
usefull and flexible then XEmacs, and with a elisp compatibility
package could server to produce a "real" development environment for
CL.
	So how come there is so little interest in free CLIM???
</monolog>
		Gavin E. Gleason