Are we dead or alive? (was Re: a good volunteer)

Kragen kragen@pobox.com
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:21:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Christian Lynbech wrote:
> If you are thinking in terms of getting some minimal OS up, you might
> want to check out the exokernel stuff at MIT. The link is
>
>      http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/exo/

What do the people on this list think of the exokernel?  I read their
HotOS paper a year or two ago, and I was very impressed with the idea.
It seemed like a simple and natural way to get all kinds of kernel
functions out of the kernel, and it seemed like they *would* be easier
to implement in libraries.

Have others with more OS expertise here looked at it?

Kragen

A well designed system must take people into account.  . . .  It's hard to
build a system that provides strong authentication on top of systems that
can be penetrated by knowing someone's mother's maiden name.  -- Schneier