Scheme compilers

Mike McDonald mikemac@teleport.com
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:36:27 -0700 (PDT)

>From lispos-request@math.gatech.edu  Tue Sep  8 21:07:22 1998
>Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 19:34:22 -0800 (AKDT)
>From: "James A. Crippen" <crippenj@saturn.math.uaa.alaska.edu>
>Subject: Re: Scheme compilers
>
>Considering the wide availability of Scheme->C compilers, possibly I
>should just use C as an intermediate language and make the last pass of
>the compilers be gcc.

  The problem with using a C compiler as the backend is then your
Scheme based OS will have to be able to run a C compiler, with all
that entails. (Things like fork, exec, fopen, ...) Essentially, you'll
end up having to rewrite a chunk of Unix in Scheme. :-(

>Is there any way that I might be able to get my hands on some of the old
>Lispm code?  Of course Symbolics is going to be a little uptight about
>theirs, but there must be some way of getting ahold of system code used on
>the LMI and TI Lispms, both of which appear to be long defunct.  (Of
>course, even better would be to have my own, but nobody gives them away
>for free, and even if they did the shipping costs up here would be
>horrendous.)

  There was an effort a while back trying to get the CADR code
released from MIT but evidentially, they can't find a copy of the
code. :-( Nobody was able to track down the TI code either. Since
Symbolics is still alive, I doubt they'd be interested in releasing
theirs. Although, they may have a copy of the CADR code. Hmm, I'll
check with reti and see.

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@mikemac.com