Scheme compilers

mikemac@teleport.com mikemac@teleport.com
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:45:09 -0700 (PDT)

>From reti@RIVERSIDE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM Fri Sep 11 12:27:21 1998
>Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 08:02 -0400
>From: Kalman Reti <reti@RIVERSIDE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
>Subject: Re: Scheme compilers
>To: mikemac@teleport.com
>cc: mark@ziplink.net, reti@ai.mit.edu, lispos@math.gatech.edu

>We're keeping our eye on Merced.  The requirements for a successful port
>of the emulator are:
>
>  1) 64-bit registers (and as many as possible)
>  2) >= 35 bit address space
>  3) access to paging system, i.e. to create/destroy and read and write
>     protect pages
>  4) some mechanism for getting network packets (on Digital Unix we use
>     the packet filter)

  Wild idea. Does the MIPS architecture, specificly the R5K, meet your
hardware requirements? (I don't know how many address lines are
brought out.)I was thinking something like a Cobalt Microsystems cube
running Linux and OpenGenera would be nice. Heck, you could skip the
Linux part and sell them as XL5000s with CL-HTTP!

  Like I said, just a wild idea. :-) I just wish there was someway to
make OpenGenera more widely available. (At a reasonable price!)

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@mikemac.com