VM Licensing Issues

Bill House bhouse@dazsi.com
Mon, 12 May 1997 14:17:05 -0700

Well, this issue has certainly come to a head. <g>

My belief is that the VM souce code ought to be freeware, without restriction,
except that there does need to be an entity that holds the copyright, grants
everyone a cost-free license to use, modify, redistribute, sell derivative
works, etc. I don't want anyone to feel constrained from using or contributing
to the codebase, and if everyone has an equal chance to benefit, then I'm happy
with that.

On the issue of competitive modifications only making their way into
proprietary variants, well, I have to say I'm not so concerned -- it we are so
fortunate as to have this problem, then I think it's up to us (or the entity
that holds the copyright) to rally enough interest to keep evolving the
freebase.

My 2 cents. YMMV

Bill House
--