MUSIC Specs 0.0 [djo4-ish] [djg20]
Thu, 29 Apr 1993 00:40:25 EDT
On Thu, 29 Apr 93 22:46:21 CDT, "Dan Odom" wrote:
> EVERYONE should be a developer. Let's make the basic tools a part of
> our standard distribution.
> Dan Odom
Nice idea, but reality indicates otherwise. In fact, something like
in excess of 90% of users are NOT developers, especially since the PC.
There should be a distribution that does not include the compiler or
development tools, at least if they aren't required for system
maintenance (and they should not be).
I would like to propose the following goals for system size and
- Run on any 386 family CPU (including 12MHz 386SX or 386SL)
- REQUIRE not more than 896k of memory (1 Meg - 128 unrecoverable
shadow bios [if we can't figure out how to get it back in
- Require not more than one of:
= ANY video adapter and a keyboard (for text use)
= A VGA or better and a keyboard (for graphics use)
= Any bi-directional stream interface (for remote use)
- Require not more than 5 Meg of disk storage for the operating
system and normal runtime, not counting development system
and fancy graphics classes and data (fonts, etc).
- Require not more that 20 Meg for the NORMAL development system
- Require not more that 20 Meg for the Full Normal graphics
classes and data.
I will not say we should require excellent performance on a 12MHz
386SX with 896k, but it should, I think, be able to run.
David Garfield/2250 Clarendon Blvd/Arlington, VA 22201 (703)522-9416
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com