MOOSE

ANDREASA@dhhalden.no ANDREASA@dhhalden.no
28 Jan 93 08:52:47 +0100

Good morning Francois

> >> Why not. The biggest problem at the moment is; how do you set gfx-mode.
> >> There are about 50(!) registers that you must change, I have come up with a
> >> new angle on how to solve it, that I'm going to test out. If any of your
> >> friends has got code to do this, I would scream of joy and happines.
> (can you
> >> If your friends are interrested to join us, make them conntact me, but I
> >> don't want 20 mails saying I once used Borland's graphics library, rather one
> >> saying he is an expert in S-VGA.
>  Well, I have more than one friend working on SVGA, but they can't agree with
> each other as they don't have the same card. The only one who can work on any
> machine is the one who exploits standard VGA compatible modes (by the way, is
> there a 512x368 or such mode on VGA or SVGA ?)

Then both of your friends are welcome. The problem with plain VGA is the
number of colors, and the resolution; They are not good enough, so I figured
that the best way of getting colors and resolution would be to use S-VGA. Now,
each S-VGA card differs from the others in some way. E.g. none of them
does the same thing the same way. So if they have different cards, that is
better. We have to make some sort of a screen driver for the different
cards. The reason why Dennis wants to build MOOSE was, he had found out that
no existing OS took full advantage from his i386 machine. The reason why I
want to do the same is having programmed in Windows for 2 years is enough,
it must be possible to come up with a better way of doing things, and to use
the capabilities of a modern gfx-cards - without to much effort.

> >> Preferrably he should have some experience in programming GUI (as windows,
> >> os2, Mac.).
> (It's not the same friend who specialized in GUI)
Creating a whole windowing system is a large project, and he must be quite
a good programmer, doing it on his own. I'm interrested in what he could do
for us. One of my first letters from Dennis this year (not the chinese one:-)
was saying - Andreas, to many people show interrest, without wanting to do
anything, getting a free ride. We must scale down.
We are two people working on the display part at the moment. Therefore I'm
a little bit careful saying "come to me everybody and we'll do it together".
One day you'll stand there with somebody not doing his part :-(.

> >> Tell me a little about you.
>  I'm working at developping a high-level language together with the kernel
> which will implement its feature.
>  Main high-level features are:
> - The language is meta-itself; looks like the macro part of macro assembler,
> but has the same syntax as the language.
> - The language is as generic as possible.
> - This includes logical inheritance (not only physical one, as in C++), typed
> templates (and more generally, parametered objects, including classes, with
> expansion at compile possible).
> - syntax lightened by polymorphism and contextual implicit parameters.
>
> (about C++, are you using the Borland C++-- stuff, or a true C++ with
> templates, exceptions, etc).
No, Borland.

> The problem with my friends is none of them has mail capability. Ask them
> help through my address.

I would like to get more information about your friends working with s-vga,
what cards they use etc. I'm also interested in what card you use.
And your friend with the windowing system.

"the Man who lives among the polarbears".
     Arff

PS. What's your full name? Francois-Rene Rideau or Fare'?
DS.

sig.'s in for 1000 miles service
        --Andreas Arff          andreasa@sofus.dhhalden.no--