Home Boxes?

Dan Odom danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Fri, 4 Jun 93 16:48:23 CDT

Gary D. Duzan Said:

>    Actually, all I have at home is an HP 2621P terminal. I use a
> 486DX/50 at work, though. I'm thinking of getting a low end Unix box,
> like a SPARC Classic for hacking. The sooner I can get away from ISA,
> BIOS, and 640K conventional memory, the better. I may end up with a
> 486 running 386BSD, but I'd rather not.

Hey, it's not THAT bad!  Especially if you use Linux rather than
386BSD.  You can get a low end ALPHA for $5,000 and a good one
for $10,000.  Why get stuck on a SPARC?

Seriously, though, we probably all need to decide on a
standard set of tools to write this thing with.  If Dennis uses TASM,
I use gas, and somebody else uses MASM, we'll be stuck.  I suggest
selecting GNU tools -- that way we won't have to pay for them if we
don't have them.

--
Dan Odom
danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu -- Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS