From: rideau@clipper.ens.fr (Francois-Rene Rideau)
Subject: Re: memory allocation (djg4)
To: david%davgar@uunet.uu.net
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 93 11:29:03 MET
Cc: @sfu.ca@dmi.ens.fr, moose-programmers%davgar@uunet.uu.net

>> I firmly believe that at the kernel level, a malloc() style memory
>> allocation interface should not exist.  Using malloc() does not allow
>> any chance for the application to control where the memory blocks are
>> placed.
 There should be different memory managers for all devices/apps/user
programs to match their need. For example very high-level programs
often need a garbage collecting feature, whereas low-level programs
would be only slowed by it. If you don't implement a GC memory manager,
each app will have to do its own, and inter-app object communication
will be made impossible or very, very difficult and slow. If you always
require GC compliancy, that will slow everything, and affect the system
security.
 To me, there should not be only ONE memory manager. Memory management is
not a Kernel feature; there are higher or lower level devices to manage
memory; but they have a standard interface, so that you don't need know
what's its memory manager to access an object.
 We can even build generic memory managers, to transform a low-level
one into a higher-level one by adding each time some features.
 So we start with physical memory, add virtual memory, add word aligned
blocks, add GC, etc. Each time, you can add it in part of the previous
manager; you can add it several times in different parts of the manager;
etc.
		   ,
		Fare