ORG,GEN [far22]

Gary D. Duzan duzan@udel.edu
Sun, 28 Mar 93 11:48:05 -0500

In Message <9303280244.AA02799@clipper.ens.fr> ,
   Francois-Rene Rideau <rideau@clipper.ens.fr> wrote:

=>In [Arf1] (I'm happy everybody begins numbering his messages), Andreas says:
=>
=>> Now there are one more thing I want you elgere to notice when you respond
=>> to my last mail, tell me what langauge you want the language group to work
=>> with.
=> A NEW language; it should be OOed, include functional notation, and
=>constraint programming and/or inter-object relation managing. It should
=>also be meta-self (i.e. be its own preprocessor), be modular (auto-
=>expandable), handle genericity, accept polymorphism and inheritance through
=>implicitness.
=> Why not C++ : it inherits low-level features and unsecureness from C; bad
=>low-level feature: implementation is determined by syntax, not optimization;
=>type casting is unsafe, so you can't trust compiled code; only special
=>paging hardware can enable safety.

   Being the idealist that I am, I'd agree that this would be the
ideal situation. Unfortunately, the reality is that it would be
beyond the scope of this project. We would have to get into language
design, compiler design, and programmer training to pull it off. If,
on the other hand, you can find an existing OO language with freely
available compilers for a variety of platforms that meets your
criteria, it may well be worth the time and effort to learn it and
use it. Otherwise, I'm afraid we are stuck with C++ (or G++) and all
its faults.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts