Two Kernels: Sync/Async [pem00]

Peter Mueller mueller@sc.ZIB-Berlin.DE
Mon, 24 May 93 10:40:38 +0200

Dear moosers,

Wait! When I suggest to implement one communication object, providing
synchronous and one asynchronous communication I only want to be able to
make eg. a performance analysis. I don't think either, that we will implement
a whole OS for both. BUT: I think it is possible to provide both, without
much more effort. Of course we will restrict ourselves to one communication
scheme (and that should be synchronous ;-) (And there should be no mix of
synchronous and asynchronous applications in our development. Nonetheless,
as it was stated earlier both schemes can be simulated by the other. So it
should be possible to run asynchronous apps with a sync.-kernel and vice-versa.)

What I want to express was, that in future versions it should be possible to
choose the appropriate kernel, either sync or async. And I still don't see
any reasons for not doing so. Providing 'two' kernels will maybe lead to a
more flexible and user-friendly kernel.

Peter