Two Kernels: Sync/Async [pem01]

Peter Mueller mueller@sc.ZIB-Berlin.DE
Mon, 24 May 93 13:39:32 +0200

Hi,

it seems, that I've a big communication problem :-)
Here I go again:

What I want is this:

	+-------+----+
	| BLACK |    |
	+-------|    |
	| KERNEL     |
	+------------+

The black box should be the communication stuff. It is
an object, providing an interface to IPC primitives
such as
	send, receive, reply

I want to change this black box to be either sync or
async. All other kernel stuff should remain the same.
Thus we actually have only ONE KERNEL box.

Then: We have to come to an agreement, which BLACK box
we choose in our first release. (You already know what
I want, do you :-) Then ALL apps are designed to use
this specific BLACK box, hence, using these IPC
primitives.

I only want to state the following: It should be possible
to make a design suggestion, where the IPC is a black box
which is exchangeable. (And if you all want async IPC
then I will follow you until I have my own system, where
I then will change to the sync. kernel.)

That's all. Please don't get confused for the term
'two kernels'. I still think we should implement a
'homogeneous' system.

I do agree that it is possible to simulate each IPC
form with the other, though I believe simulating sync
IPC out of async IPC is like using a steam hammer to
crack a nut ... but that's IMHO ... ;-)

cheers,

Peter