Using my Hard disk

Brian O'Connell oconnellb@hotmail.com
Sat, 13 May 2000 18:13:03 GMT

      I'm currently working on my operating system. At first it uses
the BIOS to do stuff like access the hard drive, but now that it runs
in protected mode I don't have any access to any interrupts and must
write my own interrupt to access the hard drive. Anyone ever had the
same problem? I have figured out which ports are dedicated to the
primary hard disk controller (1f0h - 1f7h right?) and I know which one
is the command port and which is the cylinder port, etc. However, I
haven't had any luck getting it to read at all. Do I need to initialize
it? Is there a chance I'm not even communicating with the hard drive,
but rather something else or a blank slot? Is the "rep insw" command
too fast for the hardware when reading data? I'd appreciate any help.
Also, I plan to be able to use this interrupt for the floppy drive.
What changes will there be when I do this?

Thank you,
Brian