hardw: OnStream 30GB 'floppy'-drive !!!

Nick Shaffner nicks@3drealms.com
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:53:45 -0500

>> Hehe, too bad these are tape drives and can only xfer 7 gig an hour -
that'd
>> be a long install time :)
>>
>If transfer speed is 1Mb/s like I seem to read on the photo of the box,
>that means it can only transfer 3600Mb/hour or 3.5Gb/hour.
>Why did you double?

    I didn't double anything, I just saw the following statement on the
front page of their web site:
    "Up to 7GB/hour native transfer rate"
    I think the question now is what did they double. (or halve)

[ snipped benchmarking calculations ]

>So if this is a tape backup, then it would be able to transfer stuff
>2.5 times faster than my hard disk on MY COMPUTER. This looks fast
>to me!

    Yes, but it would still be slow to install 30 gig from it

Original statement:
    Hehe, too bad these are tape drives and can only xfer 7 gig an hour -
that'd
    be a long install time :)

There's also the question of seek time, I don't see any stats for it on the
site, but if it's like a lot of other tape drives I've seen, worst case
could be in the order of 5+ minutes as opposed to the 9-12ms most hds have.

--
Nick Shaffner
programmer: Duke Nukem Forever